"I understand. Your heart may feel dead and gone, but it's there. Something wild and strong and valiant, just waiting to be released." - J. Eldredge

Thursday, January 7, 2016

The True Story of My Future HOF Big Regret

One time when I was in 6th grade, my family went to Peoria, AZ for Spring Training. It stands out as one of my most memorable trips as a kid; warm weather, three whole days away from school, the Mariners and it was 1997, so Dipn'Dots were new and hadn't made it north to Washington yet.

At the time, I was a HUGE HUGE A-ROD fan (barf, puke, blech). I think it was the dimples. And hormones. Also, my 12 year old self had no real discernment of character at the time. Sue me.

But since I was a Mariners fan, I also was a Jr. fan. They go hand in hand. One morning our family headed out to watch the M's practice. I couldn't believe The Greats were walking right by us, trying to pretend we weren't right there. It was exhilarating.

However, after a while I found my self standing next to the dug-out holding my ticket stub. I was the only kid standing there, and Ken Griffey Jr was the only player in the dugout. Suddenly we made eye contact and he said, "Hey, how's it going?"

"Oh, hey, Jr. I'm good......how are you?"

"I'm great."

Silence filled the air for a long time....

"Hey, so...can I sign your ticket stub?"

Now. Looking back, my thirty-something year old self cannot get over how cool that is. He asked ME if I could oblige HIM. I can appreciate this a little better now.

There was more silence.

I was stunned and excited and couldn't believe what he just asked me. So I said this,

"Nah. That's cool, Jr."

I said, "Nah."

Nah.

Then I walked away.

I THOUGHT he was bombarded ALLTHETIME for those kinds of things, so I said, Nah.

You guys. When the greatest baseball player in Seattle's history strikes up a conversation with you, then offers his autograph, DO NOT say 'Nah.'

You'll regret it later.


No comments:

Post a Comment