"I understand. Your heart may feel dead and gone, but it's there. Something wild and strong and valiant, just waiting to be released." - J. Eldredge

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

To Die For

Me: Let's make leftover turkey dinner paninis!

Ian: Scrunched nose What?

Me: Yeah! And I found this to die for cranberry apple dip that I think would be so good on it.

Ian: How do you know it's to die for? You haven't even tried it.

Me: Well, it's a Rachael Ray recipe. So duh. And I'm dying for it right now.

I started my mixed berry cobbler before starting the paninis because that takes longer. I decided to make the cranberry apple dip and was pretty sure I had it committed to memory since it is only 3 ingredients.

1 Cup Whole Cranberry Sauce
1 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1 Tbls. Maple Syrup
                                            source www.rachaelray.com

Somewhere between the grocery store and the measuring cup, I thought all ingredients were equal parts. I thought a cup of syrup sounded like a lot, so I cut that in half.

Whoops.

It's still sitting in the fridge. No one has any plans to partake. Although, maybe it'd be good on a waffle.

Back to the cobbler.

That turned out to be phenomenal. As cobblers go at least. I like cobblers, because you can't really mess them up. This one was super easy, and my favorite part was that I didn't have to thaw the berries first.

  • 2 12-ounce packages frozen mixed berries (such as blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries; about 6 cups), unthawed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine berries, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour and lemon juice in large bowl; toss to blend well. Transfer berry mixture to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Combine remaining 3/4 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, spices and salt in medium bowl. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until topping holds together in small moist clumps. Sprinkle over berry mixture.
Bake crisp until berry mixture bubbles thickly and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
                                                                           Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mixed-Berry-Crisp-101940#ixzz1j2Y58DGp
 
Heavens to Betsey.
 
This was to die for! We put vanilla ice cream on top. I liked it because it wasn't runny, even when enjoyed warm, out of the oven.

One thing I didn't like? Using my hands to mix the dry ingredients with the butter. It was highly effective, but I use my laptop in the kitchen when I bake so it was too messy. Besides, I did not hope and pray for my Kitchen Aide prior to my wedding just so I could hand mix butter and oats. 

Please.
 
But I will definitely be making this cobbler again. Especially since I have this idea in my head that brown sugar is healthier than white sugar, so it's not really that bad for you. This logic is probably filed in the same mental cabinet as my revised recipe for cranberry-apple dip.



No comments:

Post a Comment