"I understand. Your heart may feel dead and gone, but it's there. Something wild and strong and valiant, just waiting to be released." - J. Eldredge

Friday, January 27, 2012

Cake delicioso

I did a little experiment in the kitchen tonight. I don't like experimenting in the kitchen because if it is a failure, I fear I've wasted good food. However, with boxed cake mix, what could go wrong??

I started out with a pineapple supreme cake mix.






The recipe called for 3 eggs, oil and water. Here's where the experimentation came in. I substituted apple sauce for oil, something that has intrigued me for quite some time, but this baking purist has been reluctant. So, I thought, if I was trying something new and different, might as well go all the way. Then, since the picture on the box has a beautiful caramelized pineapple slice and a cherry on top, I figured, what's a pineapple upside down without the real pineapple?? So, I added pineapple chunks (it's all I had in the cupboard) and cherries to the bottom of the pan and then poured the cake mix on top. I didn't know how it would turn out, figuring if it didn't look good, it would still taste good. It's a cake for cryin' out loud!

The finished product:





I am not a photographer, so this is the best that I could do. The real important matter, is that the cake, even though I didn't completely follow the recipe, turned out really good. I don't know how many grams of fat we avoided by substituting the apple sauce. The cake was so moist and delicious anyway. You can also do this with a regular yellow cake mix. And I am having a lot of fun baking in a bundt. It's a new gadget that I got for my birthday.

And just for fun........here's a picture of Hazel being a little bit fancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment